Thursday, November 29, 2007

Missions Trip - part 2


I think my stomach is not back to normal yet...I have my days where I avoid eating and cramping. I don't think I am toxic, I think it was all the cheese in my food. I now have collected from others over 700 Dominican Republic photos. I am organizing them before we have a luncheon on Sunday and have a get together. I look back at the photos and laugh at a few that had a hidden "Dora the Explorer" doll. I thought it would be funny to have a "wheres waldo" theme to a few pictures. Leah had 500 of her own photos that she had taken throughout the week. I am now going to pick up where i had left off last week.


Day#3 - Wednesday was a slower day. We finished the cement demolition and flattened out the play area and prepared for the cement pour for the end of the week. Billy had a few girls interested in him. Later that afternoon the girls had taken Billy up to a classroom and questioned him on his dating status. I went up and watched these girls go nuts over Billy, they decided to sing and dance for him. It was the highlight of my trip...I laughed for a solid hour. What a stress release. Later that night after dinner we hung out and did devotions and we all noticed that the 19 year old neighbor was jealous over the attention the othe girls made of Billy. From that point on Marcelis was hanging around the rest of the week, she was at work, at home and at meal times. She is a really great girl (and speaks great english). We had company over for dinner.


Day#4 - Thursday was a little frustrating. We are in "wait mode" for most of the morning. I felt guilty just sitting and waiting for greater than 10 minutes at a time. The morning was a wash. After lunch we ended up taking an afternoon trip into the city and going the the tourist trap "Mercado", I made a few purchases such as cigars, machete, stuffed spider in a display case. Just a few things for the kiddies. I also was able to have flowers delivered as a suprise for my wife. Breck H. intoduced me to geocaching. He brought his gps handheld with him and described the fun and adventure involved in this large hobby. I am now hooked (that is for a future post).


Day#5 - Busy, Busy, Busy - the cement truck arrived mid morning and we poured the cement in several batches. This took up most of the morning and went straight through lunch and into the evening (7pm). We are all tired and ready for some hearty food.


Day#6 - Our fun day! This is the day we travel the resort oriented areas for some fun in the sun. We traveled to Juan Dolio and went to Barcelo Capella and enjoyed a huge buffett of Italian, American and island foods. Along with the food as all the drinks you could consume. Since it is very hot and the sun is brutal to the skin, I had a few drinks and avoided getting sick from the sun and alcohol. Later we went across the city and went to Burger King...this place are hopping, really! There was a party going on with clowns, music on loud speakers and they also serve beer. We all grabbed a bite and headed over to watch some Caribbean League Baseball, we watched the Licey Tigers take on ??? , I forgot the other team. We ended up getting home and then it was bedtime.


Day#7 - we all went to church and said our goodbyes, exchanged hugs and tears. And then it was off to the airport for our trek home. We ended up getting into Portland at 10:30pm and eventually home at midnight.


I need to learn spanish - this is my 5th year and still my spanish is limited.

1 Comments:

Blogger Libbydale said...

Thanks for posting the highlights of the trip. Sounds like it was fun. Billy has many Dominican girlfriends now, huh?

December 5, 2007 at 11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home